The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Reading by Eric Carle
James and the Giant Peach
How a Caterpillar Becomes a Butterfly
Video of a caterpillar becoming a butterfly
Egg Carton Caterpillars
- Egg carton
- Pipe cleaners
- Googly eyes
- Separate the top and bottom of the egg carton (you’ll only need the bottom half).
- Cut the egg carton in half lengthwise.
- Flip over (the bumps should be up).
- Paint the bumps of the caterpillar, and let dry.
- When dry, poke two holes in one end of the egg carton and push a pipe cleaner through to make antennas.
- Glue on googly eyes below the antenna.
Pom Pom Caterpillars
- Two paper towel rolls
- Knitting Wool (various colour or one colour)
- Googly eyes
- Make about 5 pom poms with various colours or all one colour.*
- Tie the pom poms together with wool (Tip: It’s best to tie them together with the string used to tie the pom pom in a ball) or glue.
- Glue on googly eyes.
*To make a pom pom:
- Use two empty toilet paper rolls together.
- Wrap yarn around and around and around the two tubes until you’ve got a good amount of yarn.
- Take another piece of yarn (about a foot long should suffice) and work it between the two tubes and tie a tentative knot.
- Gently push the yarn toward one end of the tube, being careful to hold onto both ends of the yarn you’re using to securely tie the pom pom together.
- Once the yarn is off the tubes, tie it tight and cut around both edges of the pom pom.
- Fluff and Trim to form.