The Giving Tree
by Shel Silverstein
Age 3 – 7
- Colored card stock or construction paper
- Red or green pom poms
- Glue stick
- Trace your child’s hand and arm on a piece of brown paper and cut it out. We used Kraft paper.
- Draw a leafy tree shape big enough for the hand print on a green piece of paper and cut it out.
- Glue the hand print to the middle of the green tree piece, leaving the arm part hanging off.
- Glue on the red or green pom poms all around the tree.
Age 7 – 10
- Sturdy branch
- Sand paper
- Permanent marker
- Potato peeler
- Clear coat of varnish
- Rope or cord
- Find a long sturdy branch that has been aging for a while.
- De-bark the branch with a potato peeler and lightly sand to smooth the edges.
- Drill a hole toward the top for attaching a cord.
- Paint with a neutral coat of acrylic paint. Let dry.
- Add designs with pencil.
- Use paint and markers to complete the design and outline appropriate areas with a black permanent marker.
- Spray the stick with a coat of clear varnish and attach a piece of decorative cord.