The Story of Ferdinand
by Munro Leaf
Age 3 – 7
- Cardboard cut into an oval
- Yarn (black and yellow)
- Old book (one that you don’t mind cutting up)
- Googly eyes
- White glue
- Popsicle stick
- Tooth-pick optional (for the stinger)
- Cut little slits or grooves around the cardboard oval.
- Criss-cross the yarn around the oval, securing the yarn in the slits or grooves.
- Start with yellow yarn and then the black. Tip: tie the 2 colors.
- Add googly eyes and little stinger.
- Cut wings out of the book page. Alternatively, you could use wax paper.
- Turn the bees into puppets by adding a Popsicle stick.
Age 7 – 10
- 10 Sheets of 8.5″ x 11″ construction paper per flower (as many colours as you’d like)
- Low temperature glue gun
- Paper trimmer or scissors
- Cut a 6.5″ circle out of cardboard.
- Use your construction paper trimmer or scissors to cut all pieces of paper into 4.25″ x 5.5″ (about 4 per page).
- Roll your rectangles of paper into a cone shape with a point in the center of one end.
- Use a small dot of glue to hold the cone in place.
- Repeat by gluing the first layer of cones all the way around the edge of the cardboard circle.
- For the next layer, glue the cones to the inside of the outer layer, without cutting or trimming them.
- For the third layer, trim about 2-3″ off the cones before gluing them on.
- For the center, cut off the tips of the cones and glue them into the center of the flower.